The world’s most expensive eyewear seems to fall into two categories: sunglasses and traditional glasses. The past record goes to a pair of Elvis Presley’s famous aviator glasses which sold on eBay for $250,000 USD, or the equivalent of £155,048.50. Two pairs of Buddy Holly’s prescription glasses were sold in the 1990s for $50,000 and $80,000, or approximately £31 009.7 and £49 615.5 respectively, but even they cannot compete with the most expensive eyeglasses on the market today.
REGULAR EYE GLASSES
• For a mere £888 000, or approximately $1.6 million USD, you can purchase one of the 125 limited-edition eyeglasses created by Christian de la Marcke for Optic Jewel. These unique and lovely glasses are octagonal in shape and contain 62 diamonds. They are available in both traditional and sun-blocking styles.
• CliC Gold has vintage gold reading glasses for sale for the bargain price of £46 514.5, or $75,000 USD. Designed by Hugh Power, the limited 300-piece collection has a lifetime warranty. Its unique style wraps around the head to meet over the nose with a magnetic connection system. Because the side pieces extend and the back expands, this truly is a one-size-fits-all design. The gold-tinted lenses are “virtually unbreakable and unscratchable,” according to company founder Ron Lando.
• Gold and Wood of Paris have created a Prestige Collection whose name really says it all. A total of 264 diamonds grace these rimless glasses. Side arms are constructed from horn. Such opulent eyewear retails for £34 110.7, or $55,000 USD, each.
• Dolce & Gabanna offer the DG2027B eyeglasses for a cool £237 911.8, or $383,609 USD. Tinted in brown and framed in gold, these luxurious glasses have the company’s logo on the arms in diamonds.
• Luxuriator Style 23 sunglasses sell for £4 031.3, or $65,000 USD. These opulent glasses have 132 set pave diamonds including a special, 2-carat stone that adorns the right lens. The frames are 18K-gold, and the side arms are uniquely fashioned from ivory buffalo horn.
• Moss Lipow sunglasses are still expensive but not nearly as costly as those previously mentioned. Lipow is an eccentric New York artist who pulls his inspiration from the 1950s and musician Buddy Holly. His ostrich and alligator-leather frames are only one of several interesting and attractive designs. They currently sell for £2 356.7, or $3,800 USD.
Although most people cannot afford such expensive eyewear, online stores carry huge selections of fashionable eyeglasses for all ages and interests. Choices range from classic sophistication to retro chic. Brand-name designers are bringing to market wonderful options that are fashionable, high-quality and built to last. These eyeglasses fall within a much more affordable price range. Wearing stylish eyeglasses is no longer limited to the rich and famous.